News
June 12 election was suspended without my permission – Babangida
Former Nigeria’s military president, Ibràhim Babangida, has unveiled his side of the story about the annulment of the June 12, 1993, presidential election.
In his memoir, “A Journey in Service,” Babangida claimed that the election annulment was carried out by forces led by Sani Abacha, his chief of defense staff, without his knowledge or permission.
According to a story published Thursday by The Cable, Babangida recounted that he was in Katsina attending a funeral when he received news of the annulment.
He claimed that he expressed alarm and horror at the sudden turn of events, stating that he had previously decided to proceed with the elections despite opposition from some military officers.
According to Babangida, he later discovered that the forces against the June 12 election were led by Sani Abacha who later became military head of state.
Babangida, who did a national broadcast on June 24, 1993 to officially announce the annulment of the election, said Abacha had become a major force in a “factionalised” military and it was difficult to remove him when he stepped down from power.
The former president added that the events leading up to the annulment began with an injunction obtained by the Association to Better Nigeria (ABN), led by Arthur Nzeribe, to stop the electoral commission from conducting the election.
Babangida admits that Nzeribe was close to him, but denies supporting ABN’s activities.
“From out of nowhere, on June 10, two days before the presidential election, the same shadowy group, ABN, which had been campaigning for an extension of military rule, approached the Abuja High Court of Justice Bassey Ikpeme for an injunction to stop NEC (National Electoral Commission) from conducting the elections,” Babangida wrote in his memoir.
“Unknown to me at the time, Justice Ikpeme, who was relatively young at the Bench, had worked in the chambers of the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Clement Akpamgbo. Strangely, Justice Ikpeme, in the dead of night, in clear violation of Decree 13, which barred any court from interfering with INEC’s conduct or scheduling of the elections, granted the ABN an injunction stopping NEC from conducting the June 12 elections. There was confusion everywhere.”
He said he quickly convened an emergency meeting of the National Defence and Security Council (NDSC), the country’s highest governing body, to discuss the way forward.
“On Friday, June 11, as the NDSC meeting was going on, I learned that a Lagos High Court had ruled that NEC should go ahead with the elections. The NDSC meeting on Friday, June 11, only hours before the scheduled elections, was one of the stormiest meetings I ever conducted as President. Strangely, the Attorney General and Justice Minister, Akpamgbo, who was the nation’s chief law officer and who ought to know that the Justice Ikpeme court order violated an extant law (and was tacitly supported, it turned out by some of my topmost military officers), advised that the elections be postponed in compliance with the Abuja court order. Professor (Humphrey) Nwosu (NEC chairman) insisted, to the dismay of my top military colleagues, that he had enough powers under the law to proceed with the elections.
“The arguments went on for hours in a tense atmosphere, peopled by some who wanted the elections postponed, among them the Chief of Defence Staff, General Sani Abacha, Lt-General Joshua Dogonyaro and a few Service Chiefs. But I had my views bottled inside me! Even before Professor Nwosu presented his compelling argument, I decided that the elections should proceed, backed firmly by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Salihu Ibrahim.”
Babangida said he looked across the room and said to Nwosu: “Go ahead with the elections. Go to your office, hold a world press conference and tell everyone the elections will be held tomorrow as planned.”
He said on June 16, Nwosu suddenly stopped the announcement of the election results even though the voting was peaceful and orderly.
“And then, on June 16, without my knowledge or prior approval, NEC Chairman, Professor Nwosu, announced the suspension of the June 12 election results ‘until further notice’. I knew instantly that certain fifth columnists were at work and that there was a need for extra care! And even after that suspension of the announcements of results, ABN obtained another ‘strange’ court order from Justice Saleh’s court in Abuja, stopping the release of the results of the elections,” he wrote.
On June 23, Babangida said he left Abuja for Katsina to commiserate with the Yar’Adua family over the death of their patriarch, Musa Yar’Adua, former minister of Lagos affairs and father of Umaru, the late Nigerian president who died in office in 2007.
Babangida narrated: “The funeral had taken place, and as I got ready to leave, a report filtered to me that the June 12 elections had been annulled. Even more bizarre was the extent of the annulment because it terminated all court proceedings regarding the June 12 elections, repealed all the decrees governing the Transition and even suspended NEC! Equally weird was the shabby way the statement was couched and made. Admiral (Augustus) Aikhomu’s press secretary, Nduka Irabor, had read out a terse, poorly worded statement from a scrap of paper, which bore neither the presidential seal nor the official letterhead of the government, annulling the June 12 presidential elections. I was alarmed and horrified. Online newspaper subscriptions
“Yes, during the stalemate that followed the termination of the results announcement, the possibility of annulment that could lead to fresh elections was loosely broached in passing. But annulment was only a component of a series of other options. But to suddenly have an announcement made without my authority was, to put it mildly, alarming. I remember saying: ‘These nefarious ‘inside’ forces opposed to the elections have outflanked me!’ I would later find out that the ‘forces’ led by General Sani Abacha annulled the elections. There and then, I knew I was caught between ‘a devil and the deep blue sea’!! From then on, the June 12 elections took on a painful twist for which, as I will show later, I regrettably take responsibility.”
Babangida’s memoir
Babangida’s memoir sheds light on the complex web of events surrounding the June 12 election and its annulment. He takes responsibility for the painful twist the election took, acknowledging that he was caught between opposing forces.
The annulment of the June 12 election remains a significant event in Nigeria’s history, with many regarding it as a missed opportunity for democratic transition.
Babangida’s revelations provide new insight into the circumstances surrounding the annulment, highlighting the complex power dynamics at play.
News
Apprentice murders businessman in Onitsha
An Onitsha based businessman, simply identified as Iyke, has been murdered by an apprentice under his guide.
According to a tribute by his friend, Franklin Akunebiokwu was allegedly killed with a pestle by the apprentice named Chiemerie, an 18-year old Ebonyi state.
The ugly incident was said to have occurred yesterday, Sunday, February 15.
He wrote: “Rest in peace may the almighty God console your family and heal your sister that is in the hospital receiving treatment”.
In another viral video post, Facebook user OBC Afunwa said that the incident occurred in Fegge – Onitsha and that the victim is a businessman at Ogbo Ogwu. He advised Ndi Oga to be careful with their ‘Nwa Boy’ choices as many of them belong to gangs.
Business
Dangote Refinery is “Eight Wonder of the World,” says Femi Otedola
Dangote Petroleum Refinery has been described as the ‘Eight Wonder of the World’ that has changed global oil industry dynamics, putting Nigeria at a vantage position among other countries.
Nigerian billionaire businessman Femi Otedola, stated this when he visited the 650million MPD capacity Refinery in Lekki, Lagos state.
In a post shared on his official X account on Sunday, Mr Otedola, chairman of First HoldCo Plc, expressed profound admiration for the project. “Today 15 February 2026, I visited the Dangote Refinery, what I call the 8th wonder of the world,” he wrote.
He added that, following the successful completion of the ongoing expansion project, the refinery’s capacity would rise to 1.4 million barrels per day.
The Dangote Refinery, Africa’s largest and the world’s biggest single-train facility, only days ago reached its full nameplate capacity of 650,000 barrels per day. This milestone, announced earlier in the week, marked the first time any refinery of this scale had achieved 100 per cent of its designed output in a single train.
Plans to expand the complex were first disclosed by Aliko Dangote, president of the Dangote Group and Africa’s richest person, in October 2025.
The project, supported by technology and services from Honeywell International, is intended to more than double current capacity to 1.4 million barrels per day by 2028. Once completed, the enlarged facility would surpass India’s Jamnagar refinery to become the largest in the world. The expansion will also incorporate additional petrochemical production, including increased output of polypropylene, linear alkylbenzene and base oils.
Mr Otedola’s visit comes at a pivotal moment for Nigeria’s energy sector. The refinery’s attainment of full capacity is widely expected to reduce the country’s dependence on imported petroleum products, ease pressure on foreign exchange reserves and support broader economic stability.
The businessman has previously praised the project’s transformative potential, stating that domestic refining at this scale could strengthen the naira and reshape energy supply across Nigeria and the African continent.
Photographs shared alongside Mr Otedola’s post show him touring the vast industrial complex, underscoring the scale of what is regarded as one of Africa’s most ambitious industrial undertakings.
News
Nigeria’s long wait over 2026 World Cup to end today as FIFA gives final verdict on DR Congo
The months-long waiting, vigils and prayers by millions of football lovers in Africa’s most populous nation, over the possibility of the country making it to the 2026 World Cup tournament would come to an end Monday, as the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) is set to give final verdict on Nigeria’s petition against the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC).
Nigeria had, on November 16, suffered a painful defeat through penalties and therefore lost the opportunity for the inter-confederation playoffs in March.
However, Nigerian football authorities had petitioned FIFA on the basis of technicalities, alleging that DR Congo fielded players with dual citizenship which Nigeria said was a violation of Congolese laws.
The petition specifically stated that nine players switched nationalities without completing the legal and administrative process.
Nigeria Football Federation General Secretary, Dr. Muhammad Sanusi, said FIFA approved the players based on documentation and assurances provided by the DR Congo federation, as FIFA regulations allow players to represent a country if they hold a valid passport.
Nigeria’s complaint alleges that the clearance process itself may have been fraudulent, given potential conflicts with Congolese nationality laws. “It is not FIFA’s duty to know the domestic laws of every country,” Sanusi added. “That is why we formally drew FIFA’s attention to the issue, and we are now awaiting their verdict.”
It would be recalled that Nigeria earlier won 3-point deduction from South Africa in the group stage for fielding an ineligible player against Lesotho.
If Nigeria gets favourable verdict from today’s FIFA ruling, the African giant would be two times lucky, with a brighter prospect of making it to the coming World Cup, a most cherished global football fiesta that every country wishes to be part of.
-
News11 months agoSenate to speed up conclusion of Nigeria Forest Security Service Bill
-
News3 years agoBreaking: Tinubu’s authentic ministerial nominees
-
News3 years ago“Anytime we want to kill terrorists, President would ask us to take permission from France but they were killing our soldiers-” Niger Republic coup leader
-
News6 months agoThe Many Lies Against Bashir Haske
-
News2 years ago“I’m leaving the Catholic church because Bishop Onah is oppressing me,” says Okunerere
-
News2 years agoRadio Nigeria’s veteran broadcaster Kelvin Ugwu dies three months after retirement from service
-
News3 years agoDokpesi and the Gazebo Mystique
-
News3 years agoTsunami: Tinubu orders dissolution of managements, boards of MDAs, to sack all Buhari’s political appointees
