Connect with us

News

Man sentenced to death for killing TikTok influencer  

Published

on

Please Kindly Share This Story

A man has been sentenced to death for murdering a teenage influencer last year after she repeatedly rejected his love advances.

Sana Yousaf’s murder sparked nationwide condemnation in Pakistan and reignited debate over women’s safety, after some online comments- alongside condolences, blamed her for her own death.

A judge told a packed Islamabad courtroom on Tuesday afternoon that 22-year-old Umar Hayat had been sentenced to death and fined $7,200.

Hayat shot 17-year-old TikTok star Yousaf at her home in the capital after she repeatedly rejected him, according to police and the teenager’s family.

He had spent hours loitering outside her home in the lead-up to her death, police said.

Yousaf had millions of followers on social media, where she posted videos about food, fashion and skincare. She also spoke openly about relationship problems, a topic still considered taboo in the Muslim-majority country.

News of her killing triggered an outpouring of comments under her final post, a video celebrating her 17th birthday in which she blew out candles on a cake just days before her death

Alongside condolence messages, some users blamed the teenager for her own murder, writing comments such as: ‘You reap what you sow’ and ‘It’s deserved, she was tarnishing Islam’.

Influencer Waliya Najib wrote: ‘This doesn’t feel real. You were glowing, just being 17. I’m so sorry this world didn’t protect you. Rest in peace, sweetheart.’

UK-based content creator Kashaf Ali wrote: ‘This is so awful. A literal 17-year-old with so much innocence, killed for what?’

In her Instagram profile picture, Yousaf is smiling and holding sunflowers.

Yousaf was killed at her home in the capital, Islamabad, on June 2, 2025.

‘It was a case of repeated rejections. The boy was trying to reach out to her time and again,’ Islamabad police chief Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi said during a news conference. It was a gruesome and cold-blooded murder,’ Rizvi added.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Why I withdrew from Rivers governorship contest- Fubara

Published

on

Please Kindly Share This Story

River State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has officially announced his withdrawal from the 2027 governorship contest, pledging to support whoever emerges as candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC in the state.

In a statement Wednesday evening which he personally signed, Fubara thanked the people of River State for standing with him and assured his continued efforts towards development of the state.

His statement reads-

Fellow Rivers People,

After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC gubernatorial primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party.

Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.

To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel. Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.

As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace. Some truths are best borne quietly, not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose. It is enough to say that I have faced immense pressures and difficult choices, but my love for Rivers State remains greater than anything else.

I sincerely thank our great party, the All Progressives Congress, for the platform and support extended to me throughout this process. I also express my profound appreciation to His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for his support and encouragement.

The APC remains our collective home, and I urge all party faithful and supporters to remain steadfast and committed as we continue to build a stronger and more united future together.

Let it be clearly understood that I stepped aside from participating in the upcoming River’s state Gubernatorial election not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity and I remain committed to serving the good people of Rivers state till the end of my term.

Thank you, and may God bless Rivers State.

Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS
Governor, Rivers State
May 20, 2026 .

Continue Reading

News

Kwakwanso working for Tinubu- Kano govt

Published

on

Please Kindly Share This Story

The Director-General of Media and Publicity at the Kano Government House, Sunusi Tofa, has alleged that former Kano State Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso is indirectly working towards the re-election of President Bola Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Tofa made the claim on Wednesday during an appearance on the Arise News morning programme, while reacting to ongoing political developments and alignments ahead of the next election cycle.

According to him, recent political activities and strategic engagements across the country suggest subtle cooperation between some opposition figures and the ruling All Progressives Congress, with certain political calculations being promoted by Kwankwaso ultimately set to favour Tinubu’s second-term ambition.

“Former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, is indirectly or strategically working towards President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s re-election bid. There are political activities and strategic engagements already taking place ahead of 2027, and many of them will eventually favour President Tinubu,” he said.

The government spokesperson also disclosed that Governor Abba Yusuf had approached Tinubu over plans to defect to the APC with Kwankwaso’s consent, adding that the alleged move also had the backing of former Deputy Governor of Kano State, Aminu Gwarzo.

Tofa further claimed that former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi may face political limitations in Kano due to what he described as the conservative nature of the state’s political environment.

“Political acceptance in Kano is shaped by ideology, history and regional considerations,” he said.

He also dismissed claims that about five million supporters attended a recent gathering at Kwankwaso’s residence in Kano, describing the figure as grossly exaggerated.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Why Nigeria Needs President Jonathan in the 2027 Arena

Published

on

Please Kindly Share This Story

By Josh S. Uwa

The argument that former President Goodluck Jonathan should remain outside the 2027 race is often framed as a matter of preserving his dignity and legacy. That concern is understandable. But at critical moments in a nation’s history, duty must take precedence over comfort, and national rescue over personal preservation.

Nigeria is not approaching an ordinary election cycle. The country is facing a profound crisis of confidence in leadership, institutions and governance itself. Public trust is eroding rapidly. Political parties have become largely transactional platforms for power acquisition rather than vehicles of ideology, competence or national renewal. At such moments, nations naturally look toward tested hands, not political experiments.

President Jonathan’s status as a former Head of State and respected global statesman should not be treated as a ceremonial retirement plaque. It is evidence of experience under pressure. Around the world, countries in moments of uncertainty have turned back to leaders who understand the burdens of office, the complexity of national cohesion, and the consequences of political recklessness.

The claim that this is an “ill-opportune” time to draft him fundamentally misunderstands the urgency of the moment. National crises do not wait for convenient timing. Leadership is most required precisely when conditions are unstable, fractured and dangerous. Waiting endlessly for a “better moment” while insecurity deepens, economic hardship intensifies and social trust collapses is itself a dangerous luxury.

Yes, the growing calls for Jonathan’s return reflect a form of desperation. But desperation is not always irrational. Sometimes it is the clearest indicator that citizens no longer believe the current political direction is sustainable. Nigerians are not revisiting Jonathan merely out of nostalgia. Many are reassessing his era through the harsh realities of the present and concluding that some of the values once dismissed , restraint, civility, democratic tolerance and institutional respect , may have been more valuable than previously appreciated.

To argue that he should be “saved for the future” assumes there will still be sufficient national stability left to preserve if decisive intervention is delayed further. Leadership is not something to be archived and admired from a distance. Leadership exists to be deployed when the stakes are highest.

President Jonathan’s peaceful transfer of power remains one of the most important democratic moments in Nigeria’s modern history. In a continent where incumbents often cling desperately to office, he chose national stability over personal ambition. That singular act gave him international credibility that remains intact today. Combined with his relative distance from the bitterness, vendettas and factional warfare dominating current politics, it places him in a uniquely stabilizing position.

A Jonathan candidacy would not simply be about politics. It would represent an attempt to calm national tensions, restore institutional confidence and reset the tone of governance and public engagement.

Running for office again would not diminish his dignity. It could very well become the highest expression of it.

History rarely calls leaders at convenient moments. It calls them when nations are vulnerable, divided and uncertain of their future. If the Nigerian people genuinely believe he still has a role to play in preventing further national decline, then answering that call becomes not merely a political choice, but a patriotic obligation.

The rescue mission cannot wait for a more comfortable or more dignified season.

Run, Jonathan, Run.

Josh S. Uwa writes from Abuja.

Continue Reading

Trending