News
How Donald Duke introduced joint State-LGA account, sacked council chairmen that opposed the policy

The controversial joint State-LGA account in which governors seize funds allocated to local government councils in Nigeria was said to have been introduced by former Cross River State governor, Donald Duke.
A narration by Dominic Kidzu, of the history of the ugly situation through which governors squander monies meant for the development of local communities, has it that it started during the 4th Republic and became a national malaise in 2003.
He said- “The seizure of local government funds started right at the onset of the fourth republic. By 2003 the funds had been fully corralled throughout the federation and local government councils disabled and safely tucked under the armpit of the governors.
“It is assumed that the very idea was formulated in Cross River State by the then Governor Donald Duke (but no concrete evidence).
“What I remember vividly is that when Governor Duke announced the idea to the chairmen in the Executive Council chambers of the Governor’s Office, many of them kicked against the idea.
“The chairmen who vociferously opposed the joint account allocation committee, JAAC, included Chief Jake Otu Enyia, chairman of Boki local government council, Barr. Ebaye Akumjum of Ikom, Bassey Ekefre of Calabar South and Dr. Salem Joshua of Akpabuyo.
“In government circles they were seen as the ring leaders. I was the chief press secretary to the governor and my brief was to get these opposition chairmen to speak to the camera endorsing the proposal.
“As they stepped out of the meeting I invited all four of them to my office, where the press boys were waiting, camera at the ready. As I was shoeing them into my office, Dr Salem Joshua threatened to slap me if I touched his hand again.
“He thereafter went downstairs and granted a heated interview to Ofonime Ummanah of the Punch newspapers and the now late George Onah of Vanguard. He spoke tough, deprecating the state governor and rejecting the setting up of JAAC in its entirety.
“Back in my office, the three gentlemen were in a rage. Otu Enyia was threatening fire and brimstone and refused to speak to the camera. The other two did, unwillingly too, accepting the JAAC proposal. The governor had told them in the meeting that whoever opposed the idea stood the risk of being removed.
“It was not long before the chairman of Akpabuyo was actually removed. Otu Enyia would have been removed too if I and Barr. A. B. Tase did not hold him down for hours at Metropolitan hotel, prevailing on him to take things easy and not try to be a hero.
“He had already reported the governor to late elder statesman, Chief M. T. Mbu who spoke to the press in Lagos straightaway, condemning governor Duke’s move.
“The party waded into the issue and under the one big umbrella, tempers were brought down. The state House of Assembly was then given the task of making a law to that effect. The governor signed the bill that freed up local government funds, ostensibly for the overall development of the state. Now the rest is history.”
News
INEC rejects petition to recall Natasha

A petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central District, Natasha Ajpoti-Uduagban, has been rejected by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
The Commission in a statement on Thursday said that the petition did not meet the requirements for recalling a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Commission recently formally received a petition from constituents of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, calling for the commencement of her recall process.
The Secretary to the Commission, Rose Oriaran-Anthony, received the petition which was submitted at INEC’s headquarters in Abuja on Monday.
Natasha, who represents Kogi central in the Senate, is currently on suspension for allegedly flouting the Senate rules.
According to the petitioners, over 250,000 constituents’ signed the petition, out of about 480,000 registered voters in the senatorial district.
The petition was titled _Constituents’ Petition for the Recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Grounds of Loss of Confidence’.
In a brief statement on Thursday, the Commission said, “The petition for the recall of the Senato representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria 1999 (as amended).”
Details later….
News
Six simple steps to avoid stroke

According to health experts, these are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of having stroke
1. Avoid smoking
Experts say the most important thing to do to improve brain health is to quit smoking cigarettes and vapes.
Apart from accelerating brain aging and increasing the risk for dementia, smoking causes damage to blood vessel walls in the brain and reduces overall oxygen levels due to the carbon monoxide in tobacco – making the body more prone to having a stroke.
2. Reduce blood sugar levels
High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) is a significant risk factor for stroke as it can damage blood vessels, which can lead to blood clots that travel to the brain.
Over time, excessive blood glucose can result in increased fatty deposits or clots in blood vessels. These clots can narrow or block blood vessels in the brain.
3. Maintain a healthy weight and diet
Being overweight and eating unbalanced meals can significantly amplify risks for having a stroke. Carrying too much weight increases your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol and Type 2 diabetes – all of which can damage blood cells, impact oxygen levels and contribute to higher stroke risk.
4. Regular Exercise
You need regular exercise to stay healthy and avoid stroke. Exercise should be spread evenly over four to five days a week, or every day. Do strengthening activities, usually more than two days per week.
5. Get Enough Sleep
While not a direct cause, poor sleep and sleep disorders, especially sleep apnea, are linked to an increased risk of stroke, potentially due to inflammation, reduced oxygen levels and blood flow to the brain.
The risk of stroke symptoms is four times greater among individuals who slept fewer than six hours a night compared to individuals who reported seven to eight hours of sleep a night.
However, experts also warn that ‘Too much sleep is also associated with increased stroke risk, so try to stay as active as possible so you can sleep as well as possible.’
6. Regular Checkup
You are expected to go for overall medical checkup regularly to ensure really detection and treatment of I’ll health.
News
Netanyahu ignores ICC warrant, arrives in Hungary

Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, arrived in Budapest early morning on Thursday, marking his first visit to Europe since 2023, despite an International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant against him.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban invited Netanyahu last November, promising Hungary would not enforce the ICC arrest warrant, which he called politically motivated.
The ICC issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, accusing them of crimes against humanity and war crimes, including using starvation as a weapon towards Palestinians in Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza.
Hamas is recognized as a terrorist organization by the US, the EU, and Israel, among others.
Hungary’s Defense Minister Kristof Szalay-Bobrovniczky received Netanyahu at the airport with military honours.
Orban is expected to back Netanyahu on US President Donald Trump’s plan to relocate Palestinians from Gaza. That plan has been criticized by UN experts as ethnic cleansing.
Experts say Netanyahu is strategically visiting countries where he faces no risk of arrest, aiming to gradually normalize his international travel.
In February, Germany’s chancellor-in-waiting Friedrich Merz said he will find “ways and means” for Netanyahu to visit Germany.
-
News2 years ago
Breaking: Tinubu’s authentic ministerial nominees
-
News2 years ago
“Anytime we want to kill terrorists, President would ask us to take permission from France but they were killing our soldiers-” Niger Republic coup leader
-
News1 year ago
“I’m leaving the Catholic church because Bishop Onah is oppressing me,” says Okunerere
-
News2 years ago
Dokpesi and the Gazebo Mystique
-
News2 years ago
Radio Nigeria’s veteran broadcaster Kelvin Ugwu dies three months after retirement from service
-
News11 months ago
Persons against Allagoa’s reforms behind protests at NSITF
-
News2 years ago
Tsunami: Tinubu orders dissolution of managements, boards of MDAs, to sack all Buhari’s political appointees
-
News2 years ago
Last minutes fever: Nigerian Hunters Service optimistic as Buhari signs five Bills into law